Saturday was the first time I’d been aboard Shearwater since before the Annapolis boat show back in October. We hadn’t planned it that way, but life conspired against us and that’s how it played out. Ever since Hurricane Sandy we’d been anxious to see just what state everything was in – our boat, the marina, the local places that we hang out at and nature areas we enjoy further afield.
When I arrived, everything looked just fine from the ground level; the boat stands that were bracing Shearwater were still all there (we had requested four per side when she was hauled and we were concerned that some might vanish during our long absence), no damage to the standing rigging and nothing obvious to the hull and cabin exterior.
Climbing aboard, I found that there was little beyond some accumulated leaf litter, seeds and twigs – no branches or larger debris at all.
Moving below, the first scent to hit my nose was… varnish. Not mildew. Cindy had varnished some of the bright work just before we left the last time and the scent had mellowed in the weeks since. I checked all the cushions and surface areas for water or evidence of moisture – nothing. Nothing on the cabin sole, the underside of the companion way hatch, the engine access area or any of the ports. It was like she hadn’t even been in a storm.
The only thing that was amiss was some water in the bilge…
And even that was relatively minor. I’m not sure if the water ingress was from the mast alone or whether some also came in through the cockpit lazarette, as there was some accumulated leaf litter around the hinge point of the hatch.
There was small amount of standing water near the port cockpit drain due to a clogged opening, but it vanished as soon as I cleared it.
Once I did a thorough check of the boat, I pumped and sopped the bilge dry, getting about 2.5 gallons of water out of it.
And I noticed that our new galvanic isolator had arrived and was waiting for me on the chart table.